NABJ Region III Scholarship
Application Deadline: April 14, 2017
Student Type: Undergraduate or Graduate Student enrolled in a college or university in NABJ's Region III
NABJ Region III wants to award a scholarship to a deserving college student enrolled in a school in Region III (AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX). The candidate must have a demonstrated interest in pursuing a journalism career, a record for community service, and financial need.
- Must be a current NABJ member.
- Must be an American or foreign-born student who is currently enrolled full time at an accredited college or university in the U.S.
- Must provide a cover letter (500-800 words) explaining your journalism experience, academic accomplishments, career goals, community involvement and financial need.
- Must write an essay on the specified topic (1,000 – 2,000 words). Essay Topic: In the 2016 United States presidential election, the media was criticized for horse-race journalism, which is defined as journalists focusing on candidates polling results rather than their policies. Poynter Institute published an article with a Harvard study on the presidential campaign. Researchers analyzed the coverage of Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, John Kasich, Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders during the timeframe of January through June, 2016. According to the investigation, Trump was given a high volume of news coverage, which was unusual based on polling numbers. The report also shows that the Democratic Party received less than half of coverage in comparison to the Republican Party. Moreover, Sanders’ coverage was qualified as more favorable; however, researchers discovered that Clinton had more negative coverage.
Why did the candidates’ policy positions receive little attention? What can we do as journalists to produce better coverage that will thoroughly inform? And, how can we begin to create coverage that provides more insight on candidates’ character and policy positions?
- Must provide at least three (3) and no more than five (5) work samples (articles, audio and/or video clips, podcasts, blogs, photos or personal website).
- Must provide three (3) references, along with their contact information: name, title, email address and phone number. Letters are NOT required.
- Documents must be in Microsoft Word or PDF. Please save and submit all documents as "Name.Year.TypeofFile" (example: JaneDoe.2013.Resume)
Click here to apply to the NABJ Region III Scholarship