Seeking journalists with the skills to produce compelling content with broad appeal. This daylong workshop is designed to sharpen your producer skills and provide a template on what it takes to maximize your success. It’s designed for the full range of producing talents - Field Producers, Digital Producers and Show/Line Producers. This workshop will include everything from news management, decision making exercises, to winning at breaking news, and producing the best election coverage. CNN senior managers and producers will teach this workshop.
An addiction to various digital analytics tools, matched with demonstrated, critical journalistic thinking skills and a gut sense of what makes a story ‘sharable’ are desired. Workshop space is limited and requires an application and selection process. CNN will select the participants.
Who is eligible?
Candidates must be experienced, mid-career digital or TV news producers. Applications will be accepted from all registered conference attendees.
When will it be held?
This session will be held on Wednesday, August 3, 2016, the first day of the 2016 NABJ and NAHJ Joint Convention & Career Fair, which takes place at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park in Washington, D.C., August 3-7, 2016.
What will I need to apply?
Application requirements for Field and Digital Producers:
- Resume and cover letter explaining why you want to be a part of this seminar and details about your strongest new media skills.
- Links and clips to your current work which demonstrate your experience with producing content for television, digital, mobile and/or social media.
- Two national level story pitches for CNN.
- Must be a current field or digital producer.
Application requirements for Show/Line Producers:
- Resume and cover letter explaining your producing philosophy and why you want to attend this workshop
- Link to a full show you line produced.
- Detailed critique of any recent daytime CNN show (full hour). Critique should include all areas of assessment: editorial, rundown, production values, use of talent etc. Nothing is off limits.
- Must be a current TV news line/show producer
You must be registered for the NABJ/NAHJ National Convention in order to be eligible.
Click here to apply.