NABJ High School Workshop
2013 Program: July 28 - August 1 in Orlando, FL
The NABJ High School Journalism Workshop (JSHOP) is a five-day workshop for local high school students in the host city of NABJ’s Annual Convention and Career Fair.
The JSHOP's goal is to provide an enlightening, informative, hands-on, and challenging introduction of the journalism profession to a multicultural mix of high school students. The workshop provides interactive learning opportunities through lectures, presentations, hands-on training and field trips. The students learn journalism fundamentals for newsgathering, writing, photography, video production, radio, graphic design, editing, and social media. Professional journalists, educators, and journalism college students provide mentorship and supervision.
By the conclusion of the workshop, participants will leave with a portfolio of professionally-developed media products including articles, photographs, and video clips. Also, the students will have a greater sense of what the journalism profession entails and a strong foundation with which to possibly pursue journalism at their high schools, in college, and as a career.
- Attend a high school in the Orlando metropolitan area
- Be in good academic standing
- Have a strong interest in pursuing a career in journalism
- Must be covered by health insurance
- Previous experience in journalism is preferred, but not required to apply
- All students, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Contact information for student and parent/legal guardian.
- School Information (including GPA)
- Essay describing your journalism experience, if applicable. (250 words or less)
- Essay explaining why you want to attend the workshop and what skills you hope to gain from participating in the JSHOP program (500 words or less)
- 3 References (Contact information only)
Click HERE to Apply to the NABJ JSHOP!
For more information, please contact Russell LaCour at 918-902-6013 or Scott Berry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-405-0248.