The NABJ Authors Showcase & Bookstore showcases the newest books by journalists which are creating the most buzz, and offers aspiring authors expert advice on how to write, publish, market, and sell that manuscript. Check out our 2012 line-up:
Powered By NewsCorp
THURSDAY, JUNE 21, 2012
Perry Toure Norris Pitts
Identity Politics: What's the Relevance in a Post Racial Era --12:15 PM - 1:30 PM
Description: Panelists discuss their books which analyze the need of blacks to use ethnic and gender identity to define themselves and their politics in an era where prominent African Americans have made great strides. The panel will also share what this trend means for black journalists.
- Joy Ann Reid - Moderator, Managing Editor, TheGrio.com & Contributor, MSNBC
- Melisa Harris Perry, MSNBC Host, Professor & Author "Sister Citizen"
- Gary Younge, Correspondent for the Guardian Newspaper & Author "Who Are We and Should it Matter in the 21st Century?"
- Tourè, Contributor MSNBC & Author "Who's Afraid of Post Blackness?"
Using History to Tell Our Stories -- 1:45 PM - 3:00 PM
Description: Panel will describe the techniques of using research of the past to develop story narratives in a variety of best-selling genres, including biography, fiction and memoir.
- Michelle Norris - Moderator, Host of NPR's All Things Considered
- Leonard Pitts, Miami Herald Columnist & Author of "Freeman: A Novel"
- Mark Whitaker, CNN Managing Editor & Author of "My Long Trip Home"
- Rachel Swarns, Reporter, The New York Times & Author of "American Tapestry"
FRIDAY, JUNE 22, 2012
Britt Samuels Wilkerson Ralph
How to Turn a Good Idea into a Major Book Deal -- 9:00 AM - 10:15 AM
Description: Panelists discuss the nuts and bolts of transforming their ideas and experiences into book projects worthy of publication. This panel will also describe the publishing process, offering tips and tidbits that could spell the difference between acceptance and rejection.
- Donna Britt - Moderator Author "Brothers (and Me)"
- Dawn Davis, Publisher & Vice President of HarperCollins
- Allison Samuels, Author "What Would Michelle Do?"
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Making of a Bestseller -- 3:00 PM - 4:45 PM
Description: Isabel Wilkerson, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, and author of The New York Times' bestseller, The Warmth of Other Suns, shares what went into the making of the epic book that brings to life one of the greatest underreported stories of the 20th Century, the mass migration of blacks that reshaped modern America.
- Isabel Wilkerson, Author of "The Warmth of Other Suns"
Celebrity Author Series:
- Sheryl Lee Ralph, Author of "Redefining Diva: Life Lessons From the Original Dreamgirl" will be available to meet conventioneers in the Authors Showcase bookstore.
SATURDAY, JUNE 23, 2012
Dawkins Smith Burrell Brantley
Self Publishing -- 10:15 AM - 11:30 AM
Description: This panel will outline what it takes to go solo in successfully launching a book project, with a heavy emphasis on writing, editing, marketing in both the real and viral world of social media and e-publishing.
- Wayne Dawkins - Moderator & Author, "Rugged Waters"
- S. Renee Smith, Author, "The Bridge to Your Brand"
- Deanna Burrell, Author ,"Single Girl Summer" & Blogger for the Chicago Tribune
- Lee May, Author of My God My Politics"
- Terra Brantley, Author of "Breaking the Silence"
"BOOKS AND BEIGNETS"
A Morning of Readings, Signings & Fellowship --10:15 AM - 1:00 PM
Reception for participating authors with select readings by several authors including:
Sheryl Lee Ralph, Author of "Redefining Diva: Life Lessons From the Original Dreamgirl"
Description: The culmination of this year's NABJ Authors Showcase in which participated authors will be available to meet NABJ members in a relaxed setting. Our authors will describe their works and there will be select readings. Refreshments will be served.