Dear NABJ Family,
It’s election time again!
The Elections Committee would like to inform you that filings for the 2017-2019 NABJ Board of Directors is now open. The filing deadline for anyone seeking election to the Board is 8:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 6, 2017. Packets must be sent by email to NABJ Elections Committee at email@example.com.
The Elections Committee urges all members to consider seeking an office on the Board. Voting will take place from July 10 to August 11 online and during the 2017 NABJ Convention and Career Fair in New Orleans.
The following positions will be up for elections:
Vice President – Broadcast
Vice President – Digital
Lifetime and Professional members may vote for and seek the offices of president, vice president-print, vice president-broadcast, vice president-digital, secretary, treasurer, parliamentarian and regional director. Emerging Professional and Alumni members may vote for the above listed offices, but may not seek any office on the board of directors. Media-related, academic, and student members may only vote for and seek the office of their respective representative. Not all of these offices are up this year. Please refer to the open positions above.
Please find below the official timeline for members seeking office for the 2017-2019 term:
• Thursday, April 6 – Deadline for any member seeking a national office to submit their declarations.
• April 13-27 – Declaration packets received by Thursday, April 6 will be reviewed by the Elections Committee.
• Monday, May 1 - Certification notices will be sent to ALL applicants via email.
• Wednesday, May 3, 9:00 am ET – Slate of Candidates posted on nabj.org
• Wednesday, May 3, 9:00 am ET - ALL certified candidates can begin to campaign.
• Thursday, June 1 – Membership renewals must be received by the national office on or before June 1 to vote in the 2017 elections.
• Friday, June 2 – Deadline to request a mail-in ballot.
• Friday, June 2 – Mail-in and electronic voting begins.
• Monday, July 10 – Friday, August 11 – Electronic voting period.
• Monday, July 19 – Deadline for mail-in ballots to reach national office.
• Friday, August 11 – Onsite and electronic voting at the New Orleans convention ends.
Proposed amendments to the NABJ Constitution were due in to the national office on Friday, February 9. The Constitution mandates that all proposed amendments be submitted at least six months prior to the annual convention and be endorsed by the Constitution and Operating Procedures Committee and the Board. We will let you know shortly if any amendments will be put before the membership. Please review the NABJ Constitution to see which members may vote on amendments.
Thursday, June 1, is the deadline for current or lapsed members to renew, or for first-time members to join in hopes of voting in this year's election via mail-in balloting before the convention in New Orleans; via electronic balloting before and during the convention, or on Election Day at the convention. Please check your membership status before that time.
Eligible members preferring mail-in ballots must request one by Friday, June 2. You may send your request for a mail-in ballot to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All mail-in ballots must be received by the NABJ-contracted election company by Monday, July 19, to be included in the official tally.
Eligible members can also cast their ballots electronically via the NABJ Website from Monday, July 10 to Election Day, Friday, August 11. Members attending the convention need not wait in line on Election Day to vote. They can do so from anywhere they can get online. And if a last-minute assignment keeps you away from the convention, you'll still be able to vote online – right up until the polls close at 5 p.m. at the declared voting area at the Convention in New Orleans. Final election results will be announced soon after the polls close.
If you have any questions, please let Veronique Dodson (email@example.com) or me (firstname.lastname@example.org) know.
2017 NABJ Elections Committee Chairman