Salute to Excellence Submissions Deadline EXTENDED: February 14, 2014
Click HERE to complete the online form.
The National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) Salute to Excellence National Media Awards recognizes exemplary coverage of people or issues in the African/African American Diaspora. The competition is open to all professional journalists in print, broadcast, new media or photojournalism.
Only work originally published or broadcast during the judging period of January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013 is eligible for consideration.
Entries will be disqualified if they fail to follow the rules and eligibility requirements of their designated category.
- Materials may be submitted by the journalist, publication or a representative of the media outlet.
- Only work originally published or broadcast during the judging period of January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013 is eligible for consideration.
- A failure to adhere to the contest rules, category descriptions or time limits will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fees.
- Entries become the property of NABJ, and will not be returned.
- Entry forms submitted without correct fees will not be processed. Entry forms, fees, and work samples must be submitted online (NEW). Members may not submit entries on behalf of nonmembers at the reduced entry fee.
- Online Special Honors Entries must be received at NABJ headquarters no later than 5 p.m. EST January 9, 2014 and all online Salute To Excellence Entries are due no later than 5pm EST January 24,2014.
- Entries can be submitted in only one category.
- Entrants may not enter more than three separate entries in a single category.
All Salute to Excellence entries must be submitted electronically.
TV and Radio entries must be submitted via a web link. Individuals must
provide a web link of the submission. If your piece does not already
exist on a personal or station website, NABJ encourages applicants to
upload media to YouTube. See our YouTube instructions here.
Please note the web link submitted must remain active until May 2, 2014.
Any link submitted that does not work at the time of judging will not
Newspaper and Magazine entries can be submitted as a PDF or Microsoft Word document.
- The NABJ Salute to Excellence Awards recognizes awards in the following categories and circulation/market sizes:
For a complete list of category descriptions and requirements, please click on the appropriate link from the list below.
150,000 and Under
Over 1 Million
Under 1 Million
Top 15 Market
Market 16 and Below
Top 15 Market
Market 16 and Below
- The contest fee is $75 for members and $100 for non-members per entry. Each entry must be submitted with a separate payment. Fees must be attached to each entry. The entry fee is non-refundable.
- All entries and work samples should be submitted online.
A judging committee comprised of accomplished NABJ members will select nominees based on content, creativity, execution and relevance to the black community.
- One award, more than one award or no award may be given in each category.
- Each entry is judged on its content, creativity, execution and relevance to the black community on a scale of 1 (not worthy of an award) to 10 (highly worthy of an award).
- Newspaper and magazine entries in each category are grouped and judged according to circulation.
- Radio and television entries are grouped and judged according to market size.
STEP 1: Review the award category listing for the category(s) you will enter.
STEP 2: Complete online form(s) and fees here. Make sure to view the individual category code for each category requirement. Only one entry can be entered at once.
STEP 3: Check your email for payment receipt.
If you have any technical questions or problems submitting, please contact Scott Berry at 301-405-7520 or firstname.lastname@example.org.