The Deadline has passed.
DEADLINE All entry submission materials must be received by 5:00 p.m. (EST) January 9, 2012. DEADLINE EXTENDED!!!!!
Special Honors Submissions Due January 13, 2012
Salute to Excellence Submissions Due January 23, 2012
The National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) Salute to Excellence National Media Awards recognizes exemplary coverage of people or issues in the African/African American Diaspora. The competition is open to all professional journalists in print, broadcast, new media or photojournalism.
Only work originally published or broadcast during the judging period of January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011 is eligible for consideration.
Entries will be disqualified if they fail to follow the rules and eligibility requirements of their designated category.
- Materials may be submitted by the journalist, publication or a representative of the media outlet.
- Only work originally published or broadcast during the judging period of January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011 is eligible for consideration.
- A failure to adhere to the contest rules, category descriptions or time limits will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fees.
- Entries become the property of NABJ, and will not be returned.
- Entry forms submitted without correct fees will not be processed. Entry forms and fees must be submitted online (NEW). Members may not submit entries on behalf of nonmembers at the reduced entry fee.
- After successfully submitting application and fees online, entrants must mail printed email receipt, which includes proof of payment, and 3 hard copies of each entry(s) to NABJ by the deadline.
- Online Special Honors Entries must be received at NABJ headquarters no later than 5 p.m. EST January 13, 2012 and all online Salute To Excellence Entries are due no later than 5pm EST January 23, 2012
- Entries can be submitted in only one category.
After successfully submitting application and fees online, entrants must mail printed receipt, which includes proof of payment, and 3 hard copies of each entry(s) to NABJ by the deadline. Please review the listing below for proper formatting for awards.
- Entrants may not enter more than three separate entries in a single category.
- For print entries, submit one copy of the published work on a 11 x 17 mount or smaller, plus two copies of the same work in its entirety.
- Photo entries must be submitted on CDs as high resolution jpegs along with two copies of the published work. Tear sheets are acceptable.
- Television entries must be submitted on DVD. Submit three copies recorded on DVD- R format, as DVD+R does not play in all playback machines. NABJ is not responsible for entries that will not play. Those entries will be disqualified.
- All television entries must be labeled on both the case and DVD with the entry category code, market size, entry title, airdate, total running time, entrant's name and entrant's station.
- Radio entries must be submitted on audio CD. Submit three copies of each entry on separate CDs.
- All radio entries must be labeled on both the case and CD with the entry category code, market size, entry title, airdate, total running time, entrant's name and entrant's station.
The NABJ Salute to Excellence Awards recognizes awards in the following categories and circulation/market sizes:
For a complete list of category descriptions and requirements, please click on the appropriate link from the list below.
150,000 and Under
Over 1 Million
Under 1 Million
Top 15 Market
Market 16 and Below
Top 15 Market
Market 16 and Below
- The contest fee is $75 for members and $100 for non-members per entry. Each entry must be submitted with a separate payment. Fees must be attached to each entry. The entry fee is non-refundable.
- After successfully submitting application and fees online, entrants must mail printed application receipt, which includes proof of payment, and 3 hard copies of EACH entry(s) to NABJ by the deadline. Three copies MUST accompany each entry. Return forms with entry to: National Association of Black Journalists 1100 Knight Hall, Suite 3100 College Park, MD 20742
A judging committee comprised of accomplished NABJ members will select nominees based on content, creativity, execution and relevance to the black community.
- One award, more than one award or no award may be given in each category.
- Each entry is judged on its content, creativity, execution and relevance to the black community on a scale of 1 (not worthy of an award) to 10 (highly worthy of an award).
- Newspaper and magazine entries in each category are grouped and judged according to circulation.
- Radio and television entries are grouped and judged according to market size.
STEP 1: Review the award category listing for the category(s) you will enter.
STEP 2: Complete online form(s) and fees here. Only one entry can be entered at once.
STEP 3: Check your email for payment receipt.
STEP 4: Print THREE (3 ) copies of email receipt. Attach a receipt to each of the three copies of your hard copy entry (s). Make sure to view the individual category code for each category requirement.
STEP 5: Mail THREE (3) copies of the email receipt and your hardy copy award entries to: NABJ Awards, 1100 Knight Hall, Suite 3100, College Park, MD 20742.
Contact Irving Washington at email@example.com or 301.405.7520.